Milestones

First quarter

  • The Real Estate Research blog debuted, which showcases analysis of topical research and issues in housing and real estate economics.
  • The Local Economic Analysis and Research Network conference examined the economic outlook in six southeastern states.
  • New banking supervision and regulation department head Michael Johnson joined the Atlanta Fed. The department restructured its supervisory framework to incorporate a systemic, multidisciplinary perspective.
  • The supervision and regulation department hosted the annual Industry Outlook Conference on challenges facing bankers and regulators.
  • The Atlanta Fed launched its five-year plan for environmental sustainability.
  • The Atlanta Fed website added The Inflation Project, a compendium of links to indicators, reports, and research on inflation.
  • The Atlanta Fed processed its last paper check, ending an era that lasted 96 years.
  • The Bank published its first report on corporate citizenship activities.
  • The Atlanta Fed expanded communications with elected officials about the implications of regulatory reform.

Second quarter

  • FDIC Chairman Sheila Bair spoke at a financial literacy forum cosponsored by Operation Hope and the Atlanta Fed about the renewed urgency of financial education after the financial crisis and recession.
  • The Atlanta Fed launched its social media presence with a Facebook page and Twitter account. The new outlets give readers easy access to Fed research, information, and policy views.
  • The Atlanta Fed announced that its Nashville cash operations will be discontinued in favor of a cash depot in mid-2011.
  • The Atlanta Fed's Financial Markets Conference gathered policymakers and financial practitioners to consider the postcrisis financial landscape from policy and practical perspectives. (Podcasts: Research director Dave Altig and economist Paula Tkac discuss the conference.)
  • The Bank hosted a Public Affairs Forum on the economics of income inequality.
  • President Dennis Lockhart, cochair of the United Way of Metropolitan Atlanta's Early Education Commission, completed work on institutionalizing improvements in early childhood education.
  • Through the Regional Economic Information Network, or REIN, the research department closely tracked the economic effects of the Gulf oil spill.

Third quarter

  • The U.S. Census Bureau Research Data Center selected the Atlanta Fed as regional host. Bank partners include Georgia State, Emory, Georgia Tech, the University of Georgia, the University of Alabama at Birmingham, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
  • New Orleans staff contributed to a Brookings Institution study on the city's recovery five years after Hurricane Katrina.
  • The Center for Real Estate Analytics sponsored a conference on the crisis in real estate and its impact on government finances.
  • The Bank hosted hearings on potential changes in the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act, which requires mortgage lenders to provide regulators and the public detailed annual reports of their lending.

Fourth quarter

  • The Atlanta Fed held a historic conference to mark the 100th anniversary of the 1910 Jekyll Island meeting that resulted in draft legislation (the Aldrich Plan) for the creation of the U.S. central bank. Participating in the conference were current Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke and former Fed chairmen Paul Volcker and Alan Greenspan, among others.
  • The Americas Center and the American Society of Hispanic Economists organized a workshop on Hispanic economic issues.
  • The Atlanta Fed held a conference that explored the dynamics of small business, entrepreneurship, and economic recovery.
  • The new Center for Human Capital Studies hosted a conference on employment and the business cycle.
  • More than 10,000 teachers attended 207 Atlanta Fed workshops and presentations throughout the year.
  • The Retail Payments Office released summary findings of its 2006–9 study showing that debit card payments are more popular than checks and credit cards.
  • Leaders were appointed for the new Office of Minority and Women Inclusion.
  • The Atlanta-based Retail Payments Office launched cross-border service that allows U.S. financial institutions to send payments to more than 20 European countries.
  • The Atlanta Fed's cash operations processed 5.43 billion notes.
  • The Fed's Atlanta-based Retail Payments Office processed 10.5 billion electronic commercial automated clearinghouse transactions and 7.8 billion checks. Of the checks, 99.4 percent were electronic; the remaining 0.6 percent were paper.

 

Atlanta Headquarters—The heart of Midtown and the Southeast

Birmingham Branch Office—The classic Alabama Theater, a historical landmark

Jacksonville Branch Office—The river runs through it

Miami Branch Office—South Beach, the colorful beach mecca

Nashville Branch Office—Broadway in the heart of Music City

New Orleans Branch Office—The iconic French Quarter