The 2014 Survey of Consumer Payment Choice: Technical Appendix
This report serves as the technical appendix to the 2014 Survey of Consumer Payment Choice (SCPC), an annual study, created and sponsored by the Consumer Payments Research Center (CPRC) at the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston and administered in 2014 by the RAND Corporation. The SCPC is designed primarily to collect data on attitudes to and use of various payment instruments by consumers over the age of 18 in the United States. This data report details the technical aspects of the survey design, implementation, and analysis.
The technical appendix does the following:
- Establishes the context and goals of the survey.
- Highlights changes in the survey from the 2013 version to the 2014 version.
- Details the sample selection strategy in the context of that used in previous years and presents statistics relating to survey response and completion.
- Delineates the methodology used to generate the sample weights that are used to make inferences about the entire population of U.S. consumers.
- Discusses the general philosophy taken toward data preprocessing of categorical and quantitative variables and provides detailed algorithms for key data-editing procedures.
- Presents the statistical methodology used for estimating and comparing population estimates.
- Presents results of the hypothesis tests.