Avoiding COVID-19 Scams
These resources inform you about phishing and other attacks that take advantage of the uncertainty and fear in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- AARP: Be wary of people pushing products or stocks that promise a cure.
- Bankrate: Watch out for these three types of coronavirus scams.
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau/Mobile banking: Read safety tips on mobile banking and mobile payments.
- Consumer Reports: Take these steps to avoid coronavirus phishing scams.
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC): Ignore emails claiming to be from the CDC; ignore online offers for vaccinations.
- Microsoft: Learn what Microsoft is doing to fight coronavirus phishing attacks, and what you can do to protect yourself.
- U.S. Secret Service: Watch out for phishing scams posing as medical or health providers, charity scams on social media.
- U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission: Beware internet and social media promotions claiming that products or services “prevent, detect, or cure coronavirus” and that the stock of providing companies will increase in value.